Thursday, June 19, 2008

Child Genius

My four year old reads. I am sure that he is a genius. Did I mention that he reads?
He's kind of obsessed. He loves numbers, letters, and words-- and always has.

My last trip to the library I scored some new 1st reader books. These are the Dick and Jane-esque books which repeat words over and over in short sentences, until they have been branded into your undoubtedly brilliant child's head.

He is also really into the "Little Mr." books by Roger Hargreaves. Mr. Good is the current favorite, which I'm really happy about because that Little Miss Naughty was a total freakshow, and encouraging some not so desirable behavior, we won't go into that now.



Every night we read two books, it seems like if we go beyond that we miss our "window of opportunity" and bedtime quickly turns into complete chaos. So this is our nightly routine:
  1. He reads me one of his "first reader" books.
  2. I read him a book.
  3. We make a final trip to the potty. Oh yeah baby, he sleeps in underwear-- jealous?
  4. He goes to sleep, usually without much hassle.
So I like routine-- sue me.

FYI, there is a theory behind the order of events in which bedtime is executed. I let him read to me first so during the second book he can be quiet, relax, and just listen-- I consider it his "winding down" time.

But the other night he really, really, really, really (his words not mine) wanted me read him Little Mr. Good first, then he'd read to me second. Now I don't want to be the BookNazi, but I know how excited he gets when he reads and I really wasn't in the mood to risk jeopardizing the calmness we had been enjoying... so I said no.

And then he responded with-(ok, here comes the genius part)-- "Well Mommy, I have an idea. Why don't you read me half of Little Mr. Good, then I'll read my book, then you can read me the second half of Little Mr. Good?"

I was like... did you really just say that? My little future Diplomat. My little future executive. My little future hostage negotiator.

Seriously, I want to eat this child-- he is so delicious.


You know you wanna bite him.



Share

13 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura said...

Oh man I just deleted a comment.

Jill Stevens, Licensed Acupuncturist, Chinese Herbalist said...

omg. he really is the smartest child ever.

Jill Stevens, Licensed Acupuncturist, Chinese Herbalist said...

i have to be honest, this is like my favorite blog ever to read. you really are a great write. i think it should be syndicated or something. i have your blog in my bookmark toolbar now. i worship you.

Cecily R said...

He is adorable and clearly brilliant! Reading at four is a big deal!

I love the Little Mr. books (I agree with you on Little Miss Naughty although I also admit it makes me laugh)!!!

I stink at routine. Nothing in my life is routine. My kids hang that over my head way too often.

.. said...

1) Grover Rocks!!
2) Little Miss Scattterbrain is a hoot! Preview First!!!
3) You are awesome for investing in reading : )
Your children will thank you later.

Mama Needs a Cosmo said...

Dude. That's one kick-ass grover t-shirt.. Seriously! Grover is so underrated.

I love reading to my boys. Doing the funny voices cracks them up, which makes it all worth it!!

Anonymous said...

This is such a cute story! You'll have to throw this one in the scrapbook so you have proof when he really does become a diplomat!

david mcmahon said...

G'day from Melbourne,

When you run out of the Mr Men books, let me know - we have them ALL!!

I grew up in a home with thousands of books - and I've ensured my kids have the same opportunity.

Laura said...

Thanks for all the comments on my boy story.
The photo only shows about 1/5 of our Roger Hargreaves collection-- I was actually a little embarrassed that we had so many of them-- thought it was a little overboard (I do that sometimes).

Thanks David for the offer-- btw, where do you normally buy books from in Australia?

Fashion paramedic and Ty-- I am so glad you guys also recognize the awesomeness that is Grover.

Anonymous said...

I love Mr. Men. I'm partial to Mr. Happy, m'self. *g*

Hey, is that Wiggle World in the background?

Laura said...

Hey Tors, yes that's Wiggle World or whatever at Dreamworld...
I was wondering where you had been, I was starting to get worried.

Anonymous said...

1.) Your kid is indeed a genius. That was some awesome negotiating.

2.) I seriously want to read the "Little Miss Contrary" book. Seriously. LOL